Travelling abroad with your pet after Brexit

Important information regarding regulation changes to travelling with pets post Brexit.
Written by Mayhew team
Updated 2 years ago

Regulations for pet travel into and out of the UK have changed since the UK left the EU, and new requirements will vary depending on your destination country.

Pet Passports – a few key changes

You can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. However, you can still use a pet passport that has been issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland as normal.

An EU-issued pet passport or Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is now required for travel to the EU and Northern Ireland.

Check with your vet 

A vet who is registered as an Official Vet (OV) can help you with your pet’s travel requirements, giving you advice on requirements as well as issuing relevant paperwork where necessary. It is essential that you make enquiries with your vet early, as it can often take months to prepare your pet and their paperwork.

Vets qualified as OVs can be found at many private veterinary practices. Some countries may require additional vaccinations, parasite treatments and disease testing, all of which can take time.

 When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

Travelling to a non-EU country

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an Export Health Certificate (EHC). You’ll also need to complete an Export Application Form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.

The EHC and the Export Application Form for each country will tell you how to apply for your export health certificate, depending on whether you have a cat or a dog.

An EHC checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you’re travelling to.

You must nominate an official vet who will be sent the EHC. They’ll then check your pet has met the correct health and identification requirements before you travel.

Make sure you check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.

Further government guidance can be found at:

If you’re travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland

Contact the Pet Travel Scheme helpline if you need more information about pet travel.

[email protected]
Telephone: 0370 241 1710
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)
Find out about call charges

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country

Contact APHA if you need more information about pet travel to a non-EU country.

[email protected]
Telephone: 03000 200 301
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges




Did this answer your question?