How can we help?

Easter safety advice

With so much chocolate around, Easter can be a dangerous time for pets.
Written by Mayhew team
Updated 5 months ago

Across the UK over 400 dogs and cats were treated for chocolate poisoning last Easter. As little as 50g (0.1lbs) can prove fatal to a dog/cat of a small size as they are allergic to a chemical in chocolate called THEOBROMINE.

If, like many owners, you cannot resist giving your pet a little Easter treat make sure it is something pet-friendly, suitable and safe.

Treatment may be needed if your dog eats any chocolate so please contact your vet as soon as possible. It will assist your vet if you can tell them:

  • How much chocolate your dog has eaten
  • What type of chocolate it was (wrappers can be very helpful)
  • When your dog ate the chocolate

This will enable them to work out whether your dog has eaten a toxic dose and what treatment your dog is likely to need.

Symptoms to look out for if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate:

  • Vomiting (may include blood)
  • Diarrhoea
  • Restlessness and hyperactivity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tension, incoordination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures

If you have any concerns, please contact your vet as soon as possible.

Did this answer your question?